HOW DID YOU HEAR ABOUT MOCHAMOVES?

Thursday, September 6, 2007

AUTHOR SPOTLIGHT-ALEK WEK


Hey you guys, stick with me and I will show you the world..lol. Thank you for coming back and checking me out. In this post I want to spotlight a really special person who is also my favorite person of the week and that is Alek Wek. Alek is an international Super Model and the author of new Memoir "Alek Wek From Sudanese Refugee to International Super Model". This week there has been a lot of press covering the launch of her new book. I wanted to write something on it earlier but I didn't because I was not physically at any of those events. And the whole idea of MochaMoves is writing about events that I have actually been to. So when I got an invite to an Alek Wek book reading I was really excited to cover this event. It was a really small private event and Alek showed up on time, which was unexpected because this is Fashion Week. She spoke really well, and talked about her life and her family. She was born in Sudan and her father died when she was nine, she is also one of 9 children. Her mom is the matriarch of the family and they fled to Europe from the Sudan War. She was discovered by a modeling scout at a mall in London. Alek allowed the audience to ask her questions, which was really nice. She had an English accent and looked as flawless as she does in the magazines. I related to her a lot because my father is from Africa and I have a sister there as well. By the way she spoke you can tell that she was really down to earth. Her book had family pics that anyone from the islands can relate to. So show her some love and enjoy the pics. And now I feel like an official photographer because I have taken pics of a super model..lol. So the next time you see me if I have one of those huge fashion photographer cameras don't laugh..lol
Alek Wek Signing her Book



Alek Speaking at her Book Launch Event

Mocha @ Alek Wek Book Launch Event

THE NEW BOOK BELOW:


Thanks for checking out my site! And don't forget to post a comment..
you can find Alek's new book and many other good reads at:
www.barnesandnoble.com

1 comment:

Look @ Lonny said...

And she lives in Brooklyn which is so humble of her b/c with all her millions she could be living on the Upper East side but she wants to stay close to her people in BK.